Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Manion's Weekend

Saturday and Sunday were the first two local CX races of the year. I didn't start racing cross last year until Boss Cross 2, so this was my first experience racing out at Manion's.

Saturday
Drove up to Kansas City and got to the race around 11:00. My race wasn't until 2, but I wanted some time to hang out and relax before the race. I was really unsure about how well I would ride; I was worried since I haven't been training very hard the last month due to our move and long hours at work, but I was also cautiously optimistic since I had a full road season under my belt (which I didn't have before CX season last year).

Start of the Masters race.

Masters race again... A great day and location for a race.

By the time the 1/2 race started, the course was very dusty with loose dirt in most of the 180 degree switchback sections. The Ethos and KCCX guys were out of town for the USGP races in Madison, but there were still 17 guys in our field. I got a decent start and settled in around 7th or 8th place behind Britton for the first few laps. After a few laps, I began picking off a few riders and eventually found myself in 5th place. As hard as I tried over the last three laps, I couldn't make up any time on the 4th place rider. I would seem to gain time on him through the uphill sections, but lose that time again in the loose technical section. I ended up finishing 5th overall.

Sunday
The course was reversed on Sunday, and a few additional small sections were added. No Joe Schmalz (Saturday winner) on the starting line today, but some fresh legs from Nebraska and 13 riders total. I got a miserable start, taking a couple tries to get clipped in, then halfway through the first lap I dropped my chain through the bumpy dried up pond. While I was able to get the chain on without getting off the bike, I still had to put a foot down to get up the short uphill out of the pond area. I'm glad I didn't cause a crash, as David, James, and Adam were able to maneuver past me. By this time I think I was in 11th place, so I made it my goal to ride smooth and pick off as many riders as possible.

Over the next 3 or 4 laps I caught 4 riders and began a back-and-forth battle with the guy in 6th place. With 2 to go I put in a dig, managed to pass him and created a gap. 4th and 5th were only about 10 seconds ahead of me at the time, but I burned too many matches early in the race to catch back up to them. I definitely won't complain with a 6th place finish after such a miserable start.

Overall it was a great weekend. The Colavita team put on a great race at a great location and I rode better than I was expecting I could. I know I need to work on finding the right tire pressure (this was my first race running tubulars and I know I'll be running significantly less pressure next race), but I'm hopeful that I can continue improving over the season, especially once my work schedule calms down a bit and I have time to get in some better training. Next up: Boss Cross this weekend or 360 Cup next weekend.

Start of the 1/2 race on Sunday. Photo credit: Roger Harrison

Through the back stretch of the course on Sunday. Photo credit: Roger Harrison

2 comments:

  1. Evan fast a f*ck, thanks for coming out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, awesome racing Evan. Those are some good results, hard to believe that you started as Cat 4 last year, and were even debating taking those upgrades. You look totally PRO in that last photo.

    ReplyDelete